Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Jazz - how does it work!?

I'm working on a Miles Davis post for consumption sometime later this week. Probably a two parter. It's a totally different world from rock records, using a totally different set of techniques.

Here's a quick clip to whet the appetite:


Watch Jack DeJohnette mixing that snare and hi-hat together so easily. It's so effortless and yet a lot of rock drummers could struggle with that pattern, not to mention the dynamic range everyone of them achieves.

I have the full link to the entire high quality set that I'll post with the next entry.

2 comments:

  1. When I was at University Jack DeJohnette came and did a master class and I was gone. I have been kicking myself ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a bloody shame... I can only assume it would have been awesome to see.

    ReplyDelete